Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

9N Writers Block Series: (A Short Story) Awry Perceptions by Seun Salami (@YMBosslady)



This is another episode of the 9ja Ninja: Writer's Block Series. Today we will be reading an awesome piece by Seun Salami an Accounting Student of Babcock University, Ogun State, Nigeria. Enjoy.


Awry Perceptions

You never know how you're going to die. Nothing really prepares you. Nothing prepares you for the enigma that is death. No religion or history books, no field of philosophy, no collection of beliefs. Nothing. But yet i lay here, blood seeping out of my body in a consistent red flow and all i felt was numbness. Numbness alongside conscious thinking. It felt like my thoughts were bleeding too. Every memory formed from my childhood up till this point beaming into my mind in nano short flashes. Darkness coiled around me and I was certain I was going to die. I closed my eyes.
Blackness. 
                                                    ******************
"Are you fucking him?" He yelled at me again. The deep toned voice sending a thunderous echo through the empty house. "Answer me goddammit!" He said now moving towards my cowering frame as I was slowly backing out of the kitchen. "Baby, we're just colleagues at work, there's nothing between us"  I replied. "Just colleagues, he called to ask if your husband was at home, is that what you do behind my back? Is it?" His eyes widened like he wanted to drill a hole through me. "No baby it was an innocent flirt I'm sure, just calm down while I explain. The doctor said you should always be calm" I said in between sobs. "Again with that damn doctor, so I'm insane now, I'm a mad man?" Raising his voice higher than before. "No baby but the doctor..." He lunged at me as I tried to run out of the kitchen. I never made it there. In a blur of movement, a jackhammer seemed to strike me in the chest, knocking me back. My arms shot out instinctively, and I felt an electric shock in my left forearm. The bottle of red wine i was holding dropped from my frail hands splattering shards of glass across the room 
Discontinuity.
                                                    *****************
My next perception was sharp paralysing pain in my chest, as a great weight pressed my ribs. My chin was being forced up and back and a large piece of the broken red wine bottle pressed against the back of my neck as blows rained on my head. A woman’s laughter coming from the TV. A liquid chugging sound to my right: Blorp blorp blorp. But the center of my universe was the demon face above me, its features twisted into a hateful mask. His knee pressed harder, so hard I thought my ribs would crack. The broken bottle slowly pierced into the back of my neck as I vainly tried to breathe past the agony. "No, baby, no" My mouth formed the words, with no air to give them voice as the glass on the floor cut through my neck.

He looked into my eyes for a split of a second, Then all of a sudden his eyes widened and he was off me, he looked at his bloody hands and jerked off like he had been pushed off me and ran out of the kitchen. I lay there losing too much blood but too weak to stand up. My head throbbed and the shards of glass scattered all over the floor had left cuts everywhere on my skin. This is madness, I should be running, but why wasn't I? 

The footsteps approached and before i could move, he came for me again,  "Don't touch me" i managed to shout, "don't you fucking touch me" I repeated. But he still came "I'm sorry baby, I'm sorry, let me help you, ìfę mi, I won't hurt you again" the voice a sharp contrast from the monster i was sure a few minutes ago would take my life. He reached for me this pulling my ragged body close. "i know i lose control sometimes, i'm sorry. but its because i love you" I could feel his body heat and hear the faint beating of his heart as he sobbed uncontrollably like a child. He carried my weightless body. My blood dripping all over the white kitchen tiles. He bust into full tears as he carried me, I looked into his eyes and stifled a smile. 

As he carried me to the car he kept on repeating "i won't hurt you anymore" i know he said that last time. This might be last or maybe second to the last, I can't really tell, but i'm not leaving this man. Judge me all you want. Call me stupid, for remaining in this relationship, but we are told to face our demons, well... Its a shame i am in love with mine. 

By Seun Salami (@YMBosslady)

Textbook awesome. Notebook classy. Scrapbook fun. Feminist. Actress. Connoisseur. Boss Lady.

Remember, to get your articles published in this column click here and follow the instructions. Seasons greetings guys. 

CLICK HERE to follow us on Google+ so as to get instant updates on published posts.

Subscribe to our BBM Channel (C004F0A3F or search for "9ja Ninja") to get live updates on published post.


Please drop your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment